On Writing: Where to Write, What to Write, Why you Must Edit
- To my surprise, being a writer means writing… (5 November 2009) – On the life of a writer
- Finishing the Novel (10 November 2009) – On editing
- Beautiful Smiling Breasts, or 5 Tips for More Interesting Character Descriptions (22 November 2009) – On creating characters
- Why do writers work in coffee shops? (14 December 2009) – On where to write
- ‘Write what you know’ does not mean write about yourself (30 January 2010) – On finding a story
- How to Find a Great Story (7 February 2010) – More on finding a story
- Movies, Movies, Movies! (27 February 2010) – On becoming a better writer by watching movies
- Getting Drafty (6 March 2010) – On how (and when) to get the most out of each draft
- Feedback (20 March 2010) – On how to get the most out of feedback
- Me and Dostoevsky (27 March 2010) – On making your novel about something bigger
- Backup (11 April 2010) – On why you should compulsively back up your work
- The Crazy Guy (25 April 2010) – On the usefulness of a cabin in the woods as a refuge from madness
- Michigan (15 May 2010) – On getting away from it all to write
- History or Fiction? (22 June 2010) – On my approach to historical fiction
- The Formula (4 August 2010) – On the “secret” to writing a bestseller
- That’s Doctor Hight, if you please (18 February 2011) – On how to overcome writer’s block
On Getting an Agent: From Query Letters to Book Fairs
- Secret Agent Man (4 December 2009) – On how to get an agent
- Ye Olde Booke Faire (13 March 2010) – On how to attend a book fair if you’re looking for an agent
On Publishing your Novel: Editors, Publishers, Proofs, Payment
- Editors do more than just edit (4 January 2010) – On what to expect from your editor
- Proofs (14 January 2010) – On the process of publishing a book
- Sorry, writing a novel is not a quick path to fame and fortune (21 January 2010) – On getting paid
- Selling Out (Hopefully) (26 May 2010) – On how many sales make for a successful book
On Building your Career: Sequels, Websites, and More
- The Curse of the Second Novel (12 December 2009) – On writing your second novel
- Let’s Get Digital (17 February 2010) – On building a website
- The Sequel (18 April 2010) – On planning ahead before you start your first novel
- The Sequel, Part 2 (4 April 2011) – Advice for writing the second book in a trilogy
SIEGE: BEYOND THE BOOK
EAGLE: BEYOND THE BOOK
1) Â Conquest and Anarchy (3 March 2011) – A look at The Harrowing and the reign of King Stephen, the history behind John’s backstory
2) Â Should We Fear Revolution in the Islamic World? (8 March 2011) – What does the history covered in Eagle have to tell us about the current revolutions?
3) When Disaster Strikes – Life in the Middle Ages (13 March 2011) – On how famine, plague, and war shaped the world-view of our ancestors.
4) Prayer in the Middle Ages, De-Mystifying Salat (11 April 2011) – On the many similarities between Â Muslim and Christian prayer, both in the Middle Ages and today.
5)Â Who Are the Copts? (4 June 2011) – On the history of the Coptic Christians and how they fit into Egypt and Christianity.
SYRIA THEN AND NOW:
THE HISTORY BEHIND THE REVOLUTION
1) Revolution and Its Roots in the Past (30 August 2012) – Examines the warring factions in Syria today and their roots in the past.
2) The Battle for Aleppo (22 April 2013) – Explores how the Civil War in Syria is wreaking havoc on both the past and the present in Aleppo.
1) How We’d Talk if the English had WON in 1066, by David CowleyÂ (18 April 2013)
2) Life after Life, by Kate AtkinsonÂ (6 May 2013)
1) Clash of the Movies, or How Not to Train your Screenwriter (15 April 2010) – Reviewed: Clash of the Titans, How to Train Your Dragon, Hot Tub Time Machine, Alice in Wonderland, Percy Jackson and the Olympians
2) Prince vs. Hood (7 June 2010) – Reviewed: Robin Hood and Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
3) My Cup Runneth Over (10 July 2010) – Reviewed: Eclipse and the World Cup